Upcoming courses in Connecticut:
- Irish Genealogy, March 12th and 19th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. Think you have Irish ancestors, but don’t know how to get started tracing their roots? This two night class will help you pinpoint their “townland” or hometown in Ireland, and to discover what records might be available there. The first class will focus on American records that might provide details of Irish ancestry, including census paperwork, naturalization records, and more. The second class will provide an overview of basic Irish records. Online registration is available at https://www.maect.org/CourseCatalog/ScheduleView.asp?ScheduleId=8376.
- Quebec Genealogy, March 13 and 20th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. Did your ancestors originate in this former French colony? Learn how to trace your ancestors from the 1920s back to the 1600s using church records, the census and more. $56 a person. Register at https://www.maect.org/CourseCatalog/ScheduleView.asp?ScheduleId=8373.
- Navigating the Websites of the National Archives and the Library of Congress, March 15th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30 P.M. Genealogists know the National Archives and the Library of Congress for their collections on paper, but they also have extraordinary online collections. Learn the basics of navigating the Access to Archival Databases, Chronicling America, immigration histories, the Sanborn Maps and more. $28 a person. Register at https://www.maect.org/CourseCatalog/ScheduleView.asp?ScheduleId=8321.
- German-American Genealogy, March 26th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. Germany as we know it today is a fairly modern invention. Learn where your American “German” ancestors actually came from so that you can begin tracing their roots. The class will cover naturalization paperwork, the census, birth records, and more. Consider this the precursor to “crossing the pond.” $28 a person. Register online at https://www.maect.org/CourseCatalog/ScheduleView.asp?ScheduleId=8321.
- I got my Ancestry DNA results. Now what? March 29, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. You’ve received your Ancestry DNA results. Now learn how to read them. We will discuss how to work with the public trees to find common ancestors, how to trace your ancestors’ travel using genetic communities and more. Please bring questions and your Ancestry login information. $28 a person. Register online at https://www.maect.org/CourseCatalog/ScheduleView.asp?ScheduleId=8347
- Using FamilySearch.org
- Organizing and Storing Your Family Papers
- Death Records
- Introduction to Civil War Genealogy
- Discovering Iconn.org
- Using the GRS to trace your Revolutionary War ancestors
- What DNA Test should I take?
Please contact me about additional courses. I am always available to teach or lecture to groups on a variety of topics.