- Connecticut Genealogy, October 10th and 17th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30 P.M. Does your family have deep Connecticut roots? Learn about the resources most commonly used to research them, including vital records, probate files, land records, the Connecticut State Library church record collection, and more. Please bring your Connecticut library card number. Online registration TBA. Register by phone at 860.343.6044.
- Navigating the Websites of the National Archives and the Library of Congress, October 16th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30 P.M. Genealogists know the National Archives and the Library of Congress for their collections on paper, but they also have extraordinary online collections. Learn the basics of navigating the Access to Archival Databases, Chronicling America, immigration histories, the Sanborn Maps and more. Online registration TBA. You can register by phone by calling (860) 343-6044
- Genealogy on the Water, October 19th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30 P.M. Did your ancestor sail the Connecticut River? Discover resources that can help you learn more about their daily life, including seamen’s certificates, ship ownership records, and more. Online registration TBA. Register by phone at (860) 343-6044.
- Quebec Genealogy, October 23rd and 30th, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. Did your ancestors originate in this former French colony? Learn how to trace your ancestors from the 1920s back to the 1600s using church records, the census and more. Online registration TBA. To register by phone, call (860) 343-6044.
- German-American Genealogy, November 2nd, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. Germany as we know it today is a fairly modern invention. Learn where your American “German” ancestors actually came from so that you can begin tracing their roots. The class will cover naturalization paperwork, the census, birth records, and more. Consider this the precursor to “crossing the pond.” Online registration TBA. Register by phone at (860) 343-6044.
- Brick Wall Workshop, November 14, 21, 28, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. Are you stuck? We’ll work together to break through your genealogical “brick walls” and discuss sources you may not have considered. Discover resources you never knew existed. Students are asked to prepare a summary of their work before the class begins and bring it with them to the first session. Online registration TBA. Register by phone at (860) 343-6044.
- Irish Genealogy, November 16, 30, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. Think you have Irish ancestors, but don’t know how to get started tracing their roots? This two night class will help you pinpoint their “townland” or hometown in Ireland, and to discover what records might be available there. The first class will focus on on American records that might provide details of Irish ancestry, including census paperwork, naturalization records, and more. The second class will provide an overview of basic Irish records. Online registration information will be announced. You can also call Adult Education directly at (860) 343-6044.
- I got my Ancestry DNA results. Now what? December 14, Middletown Adult Education, 6:30-8:30. You’ve received your Ancestry DNA results. Now learn how to read them. We will discuss how to work with the public trees to find common ancestors, how to trace your ancestors’ travel using genetic communities and more. Please bring questions and your Ancestry login information. Online registration TBA. Register by phone at 860.343.6044.
- Using FamilySearch.org
- Discovering the Websites of the National Archives and Library of Congress
- Organizing and Storing Your Family Papers
- Death Records
- Introduction to Civil War Genealogy
- Quebec Records
- Discovering Iconn.org
- Irish Genealogy
- Using the GRS to trace your Revolutionary War ancestors
- What DNA Test should I take?
Please contact me about additional courses. I am always available to teach or lecture to groups on a variety of topics.