I’m moving. How do I keep my society membership?

You’ve done all the work of joining the Colonial Dames, only to find out you have to move. What now?

Don’t panic. All the societies – from SAR to the Dames – have a system set up for this. If you have a good relationship with your local registrar or historian, you can let them know you’re planning to move. If not, don’t worry, as the burden will fall on the registrar or the historian in the new location. Just be sure that you are in good standing before you leave and that all dues are paid.

Once you’ve arrived in your new home, reach out to the local branch of your society and let them know they’re interested in initiating a transfer. While there are limitations on when and where you can transfer – in the Daughters of the American Revolution, you can only change chapters after a certain time period – generally, it is a simple matter of filling out a form and paying any adjusted dues.

Getting stuck? Feel free to contact us for help at https://charteroakgenealogy.com/contact-us/.

Published by Bryna O'Sullivan

Proprietor of Charter Oak Genealogy, Bryna O'Sullivan specializes in assisting clients with lineage society applications and with French to English genealogical translations.

%d bloggers like this: