What records do I have to have for a lineage society application?

We get it, you want to get into the lineage society – whether it’s DAR, SAR, the Mayflower Society or something else – quickly. But there are records that you will need to have, so it’s time to think about how to order them. Here’s the list of the most common requirements.

  1. Civil death records (where they exist): You’re going to be required to get them for at least the three generations (CDA and DAR) and may be required to provide them going much further back, if they exist. If you’re doing a Massachusetts Mayflower family, expect to be asked for civil death records going back to the 1600s.
  2. Civil marriage records (where they exist): See the above.
  3. Civil birth records (where they exists): See the above except for DAR. DAR currently allows you to submit just the civil death and marriage record, provided the civil death record lists parents’ names and the date and place of birth.

So in short, you need to begin by ordering any civil birth, death, and marriage records that might exist for your family. (And begin early, as it can take up to three months to receive a record.)

How do you do that? The state vital records office website is usually a good place to start. Read carefully, as requirements can be complicated.

Don’t want to wait months or want help? Contact us.

Published by Bryna O'Sullivan

Proprietor of Charter Oak Genealogy, Bryna O'Sullivan specializes in assisting clients with lineage society applications and with French to English genealogical translations.

%d bloggers like this: