What documents do I need to provide for a Sons of the American Revolution application?

Are you busy trying to prepare an SAR application? Here’s what you need to know.

  1. You’ll need to provide documents for all generations unless there is a DAR application on this line that meets specific criteria.
  2. For the first three generations, you’ll need to provide birth, marriage, and death certificates for the person the line runs through (the line “carrier”). The registrar may require you to provide certificates for all spouses as well.
  3. For generations 4 and beyond, you’ll need to provide documentation of birth, marriage, and death dates and places for the line carrier. This should not include family histories without citations. If vital records exist, you should plan to provide them. The registrar may require you to provide documentation for all spouses as well.
  4. For the patriot, you’ll need to provide the source of service and documentation of residence in addition to birth, marriage, and death documentation.

Questions? Contact us.

Published by Bryna O'Sullivan

Proprietor of Charter Oak Genealogy, Bryna O'Sullivan specializes in assisting clients with lineage society applications and with French to English genealogical translations.