New Year’s Resolution to finally do that lineage society application?

You know you qualify for the DAR, the Mayflower Society, or another lineage society and have always wanted to join – even though you never seem to get there. Is one of your resolutions to make this the year? Here’s how to get started.

(We’re assuming you know your qualifying ancestor or a family member who joined.)

  1. Contact the society to see what’s already on file. (Please note: if you are considering membership in an invitation only society, please refrain from making a request until you have become a candidate.)
  2. Search your home for any birth, death, and marriage records you might have. As a rule of thumb, you’ll need to provide them for at least you and your spouse; your parents; and your grandparents on that line.
  3. Order your own certificates if you cannot locate them. They’re usually not available online due to privacy concerns and can be hard for someone else to order. Don’t know how? Records are usually held by the town or county clerk where you were born or married.
  4. Decide if you’d like to do your own application; if you want professional help; or if you’d prefer a mixture. Most lineage societies are set up for you to do your own application. DAR, SAR and GSMD can all offer some degree of help with locating a difficult to trace ancestor or getting a specific record. If you’d like extensive assistance with an application, you generally will need to hire professional help.

Have questions? Contact us.

Published by Bryna O'Sullivan

Proprietor of Charter Oak Genealogy, Bryna O'Sullivan specializes in assisting clients with lineage society applications and with French to English genealogical translations.

%d bloggers like this: