Do you have ancestors who served in Continental Navy?
These books can help you learn more about their experience:
- John Lehman, On Seas of Glory: Heroic Men, Great Ships, and Epic Battles of the American Navy (New York: The Free Press, 2001), 14, 32-33.
- Craig L. Symonds, The U.S. Navy: A Concise History (New York: Oxford University Press, 2016), 5-6.
- George C. Daughan, If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy – From the Revolution to the War of 1812 (New York, Basic Books, 2008), 203.
- “Naval Documents of the American Revolution,” Naval History and Heritage Command (https://www.history.navy.mil/research/publications/publications-by-subject/naval-documents-of-the-american-revolution.html: accessed 15 November 2022).
- Fanning, Nathaniel. Sailing Under John Paul Jones: The Memoir of Continental Navy Midshipman Nathaniel Fanning, 1778-1783. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 2020.
- The American Navies of the Revolutionary War. New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1974.
- Zeinert, Karen, ed. The Memoirs of Andrew Sherburne: Patriot and Privateer of the American Revolution. Hamden, CT: Linnet Books, 1993.